How can I improve my kidney function to avoid dialysis?
Kidneys are an essential part of the body. And our body cannot work perfectly if there are flaws in the working of the kidney. It is a bean-shaped organ. Every kidney is nearly the size of a fist.
Its functions are to filter blood and remove waste from the body, but this is not the only function of kidneys. There are various functions that a pair of kidneys perform. Let’s discuss them –
- It balances chemicals and minerals in your body.
- It also removes the extreme amount of fluid from the body.
- It’s one of the main functions is to maintain blood pressure as it releases some hormones that modulate blood pressure.
- It produces red blood cells in the body and keeps your bones healthy.
These are some vital functions that a healthy pair of kidney performs. Now let’s talk about can your kidney functions be improved.
Yes, they can be improved; your kidney functions are measured by GFR. Glomerular Filtration Rate is generally a test or an equation that is used to determine how healthy your kidneys are or are they working properly. It uses gender, age, and creatinine to determine that.
How you can improve your Kidney Functions
There are certain ways by which you can improve your GFR, which means kidney functions. Eating a well and nutritious diet can definitely improve not just your kidney functions but also your overall health.
Your food choices surely affect your kidney health. So it’s important to choose your food carefully.
- On should avoid choosing daily fresh vegetables and food. And avoid processed foods.
- If a person is not on dialysis but has moderate to advance kidney disorder, then he/she should take less protein. A high protein diet is good for people who have healthy kidneys, but it’s not a good option for those having kidney disorders.
- People having high blood pressure should take a diet with less salt. If not, then it can lead to breathing problems and swelling.
Exercise also helps in improving kidney functions. Various studies have shown that exercising helps in working kidney functions better.
Drinking plenty of fluids also helps in the proper working of kidney functions. It keeps you hydrated and regular intake of water and liquids keeps your kidney healthy. It helps in cleaning toxins from the kidneys reducing the risk of dialysis and chronic kidney disease.
Kidney Test if the person is at high risk of kidney damage, then it’s best to have regular kidney functions test.
Avoid smoking; the person should avoid smoking as it is harmful to the body it damages the blood vessels. Too much smoking can also lead to kidney cancer.
Dialysis and its impact on Human Body
Dialysis is a procedure that includes every function that a pair of kidneys perform. A person needs dialysis when their kidney fails. It then keeps your body in balance.
- It maintains the level of chemicals in your blood.
- Keeps your blood pressure in control.
- Also, remove the excess water, waste, and salt from the body.
Dialysis is an expensive treatment and impacts a body in several ways –
The way dialysis is carried out can cause various problems to the patients, but the sad part is that it can only compensate for the kidney functions, not for the personal impact it have on people.
- The very common effect it has is fatigue; here, the person feels really tired and exhausted.
- Dialysis patients may temporarily experience hair loss.
- Another effect is that patients with kidney failure feel anxiety and stress.
- It’s possible that you may feel less energetic and tiring, for that you can consult your dietician if they can suggest you some food which can increase your energy levels.
- You may gain weight during dialysis, for that you can do daily exercise, but it may be a little difficult to perform while on dialysis, but if you are persistent, you will feel it becomes easier.
- Another effect is during dialysis; your skin becomes itchy.
- You can have blood clots, blood pressure levels can also rise, and many more.
These are some impacts and effects that a dialysis patient experience and it’s not easy to face such disorder and other kind of serious effects. So just keep your focus on your health and take all the necessary steps that are required so that your kidney stays healthy and far away from diseases.