Structure and Function of Kidney, Ayurvedic Kidney Care - Dr. Puneet Dhawan
There are two kidneys in a healthy person’s body. Like any other organ, it does a number of functions which keep your body healthy and away from diseases. According to the recent data, the number of people with kidney diseases is increasing day by day. This increasing rate is connected with many causes such as increasing rate of diabetes and heart patients. Change in lifestyle and food habits is another major cause for it. To understand the causes and symptoms connected with kidney damage, let’s discuss the structure and function of kidney.
Structure of kidney
The kidney is the bean-shaped organ located in the abdominal cavity. These are located right and left side of the spine and under the diaphragm. The right kidney is located behind the liver and the left one behind the spleen. A healthy kidney is 11 cm long, 3 cm thick and 6 cm wide. It weighs around 150 grams. The size of a healthy kidney differentiates due to any damage. Both the kidneys are located at the level of T12-L3. The right kidney is positioned little lower than the left kidney due to the space occupied by the liver. “Structure and function of kidney”.
Parts of the kidney
- Capsule-The outer-most layer of the kidney is termed as capsule. It is made of fibrous tissue that surrounds the kidney.
- Cortex- The inside layer of capsule called cortex. It is a reddish –brown layer situated between capsule and medulla. It carries convoluted tubules and renal corpuscles. “Structure and function of kidney”.
- Medulla- It is the innermost part of the kidney which carries renal pyramids that are separated by renal columns. The number of renal pyramids in each kidney is between 8 and 18. All the renal pyramids have an outer renal cortex and an inner renal medulla. Nephrons are located between the outer renal cortex and an inner renal medulla. The urine in the kidney is being produced by these nephrons. “structure and function of kidney”.
The deoxygenated blood consisting of unwanted agents enters the kidney by renal arteries. The kidneys then filter all the unwanted agents and send back the blood through renal veins. “Ayurvedic Kidney Care”
Functions of a kidney
The major function of the kidney is to purify the blood. This function is essential to maintain a healthy environment inside the kidney. It helps to manage the level of necessary and unnecessary agents inside one’s body. Here are the major and essential functions performed by kidneys:
- Excretion of waste- A kidney works to eliminate the waste from the body through urine. It eliminates urea which is produced by the breakdown of proteins and uric acid which produced from the breakdown of nucleic acid.
- Reabsorption of nutrients- Your kidney also helps with the reabsorption of nutrients and stops it to get eliminated from your body. Glucose, bicarbonate, amino acids, sodium, and water are some of the nutrients which are reabsorbed by your kidneys. “structure and function of kidney”.
- Maintaining the pH level- The adequate pH level needs to stay between 7.38 and 7.42. In case of imbalanced pH level, the enzymes and proteins start breaking down. If the situations remain untreated then it can lead a person to death.
- Maintaining blood pressure- High blood pressure finds to be a cause of kidney damage or failure and is needed to be managed. Your kidneys regulate the blood pressure to avoid further damage. “Ayurvedic Medicines For Kidney Damage”
- Secreting active compounds- Kidneys release active compounds such as calcitriol, renin and erythropoietin. These entire compounds perform different functions. Erythropoietin controls the production of red blood cells (RBC). Renin manages the volume of blood plasma and expansion of arteries. Calcitriol helps with the reabsorption of phosphate in the kidney by increasing the level of calcium absorbed in the intestine. “structure and function of kidney”.
What to do in case kidney stops performing its functions?
Several signs and tests are helpful to know that if your kidney is working adequately or not. In case of noticing any related symptoms like nausea, headache, vomiting, abdominal pain, go for the right treatment. At Karma Ayurveda, we show you the right way to get rid of kidney related diseases and complications permanently. Dr. Puneet Dhawan is using his expertise to resolve the major problems associated with the kidney in a purely natural way. “structure and function of kidney”.